Joshua on Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:19:59 -0700 (MST)

Re: [hosers-talk] greylisting

Joel Uckelman sez:
>I've been thinking about setting up greylisting on charybdis. What that
>means is that a database of remote email servers would be kept, and only
>mail from known servers would be delivered immediately; all other mail
>servers would be asked to try again later, and then any mail servers which
>actually try again are added to the database. This is pretty effective
>against spam because usually legitimate mail servers make a second attempt
>to deliver (a few minutes to an hour later, usually), while spammers tend
>not to try again with the same message.
>
>So, would it bother anyone if I set up greylisting on charybdis? (This is
>likely to affect your real mail only if you routinely receive mail from
>people who have never contacted you before which needs to be acted upon
>within a few minutes of it being sent.)

what's the downside? some legitimate mail will be delivered more
slowly; anything else? would any mail never be delivered? or would
that only happen in cases where a legitimate sender for some reason
never tried again, or got through again?

assuming there are no big problems with it i'm fine with it. i get
a lot of my mail through my school account, filtered to a gmail account,
and a bit more straight to gmail. i still get legitimate mail at ellipsis
but i get so much spam not caught by bogofilter or whatever we're using
that i usually spend a lot more time deleting missed spam than reading
the little real mail i get.

josh