Jon Stewart on Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:09:28 -0600 (CST)

Re: [hosers-talk] imap servers?

> Thus spake "Jon Stewart":
> > There seem to be a couple imap servers for linux. Is there a clear
> > favorite? Can anyone recommend one?
>
> I use Dovecot on charybdis, but it's just serving POP3S; I have the IMAP part
> turned off. I can say that configuration is not difficult. IMAP is on by
> default, so unless you had unusual requirements it would likely work out of
> the box.
>
> Also, Dovecot is a standard part of Fedora, so you know that it's widely
> used and enough people care whether it works that serious problems are likely
> to be fixed promptly.

As lame as webmail normally is, it would still be very nice to have. I
love nmh, but it sucks for attachments. If someone sends me a picture, I
usually just forward it on to my yahoo account to look at it, rather than
doing an mhstore and scp'ing the picture around. Webmail is good with
attachments. And sometimes a good ssh client just isn't available.
Finally, I can set up an email server with webmail and let newbies (read:
Erin) use it, while maintaining full control over the data.

So, cool. I will check out Dovecot. Worse comes to worst, I can maybe
source all mail from the imap server and use nmh as only a dumb front end.

I really wish nmh development wasn't stuck in the stone age. The project
seems to have been killed, more or less, by the savannah attack last year.
It's a good example of how baroque software turns to rubble; they had to
emulate all the stupid little "features" of mh, and now they've got an
albatross of a codebase.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org