Jon Stewart on 30 Oct 2003 15:40:27 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] how to bring back that 2400 baud feelin'

> Thus spake Tom Plagge:
> > > Be sure you have X compression turned on. That should save you a lot of
> > > bytes traveling back and forth.
> >
> > How do you do this?
>
> Oops, what I was thinking of is not X protocol compression, but rather ssh
> stream compression. I think it's the -C option for ssh.

Yeah, I tried this the second time and things seemed a little better.
Still pretty slow, though. Given the level of my paranoia at my office,
though, I'm not sure I want any data coming into my NIC that isn't over
ssh.

> As for X protocol compression, you can check whether your X server has it
> with xdpyinfo, and grep it's output for "LBX". And there's some stuff you
> can do to get it working:
>
> http://studenthelp.itee.uq.edu.au/remote/lbx.html
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LBX.html

Cool, thanks. I will look into this.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org