Josh on 6 Aug 2003 00:58:07 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] what sucks

"Jon Stewart" sez:

>> >1. Using ssh and rsync (under Cygwin for my Win2K box), mirror my home
>> >directories across all machines automatically.
>>
>> I don't know what rsync is, but why not just leave your home directory
>> on one of the machines and mount it over the network from the others?
>> That's what Murph does on our internal network here.
>

>That would be fine for enabling parallel builds.
>
>However, it doesn't accomplish simple backups. rsync uses MD5 hashes to
>maintain synchronized file systems. It is good stuff. It's not really a
>big deal if a hard drive crashes and I have to reinstall the OS and
>related software. It is a big deal if I lose my data. Since I don't have
>that much data (at least, if I discount my mp3s, which are all ripped off
>CDs in my possession) maintaining copies of stuff on three machines is
>a pretty good, hassle-free hedge against disk failure.
>
>Since I've never experienced a disk failure in all the years I've been
>using PCs, I figure I'm due within the next decade.

Oh yeah, I do know what rsync is. That.

I don't think I've experienced a disk failure but I was running a beta
copy of some OS software that let me accidentally irretrevably erase everything
on my hard drive. That was kinda not cool. I wonder if that does it for me
karma-wise.

Josh

--
josh blog: http://www.ellipsis.cx/~kortbein/blog/