Joel Uckelman on 29 Jul 2003 02:33:56 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] nmh question

Thus spake Josh:

> I'm playing around with running nmh (the fink-ported version) under
> darwin on my ibook.
>
> 1. Is there an nmh program or a switch to one that will tell me what
> switches nmh was compiled with? I can play around with my package
> manager (aforementioned fink) to find this out, I just think it
> would be proper if nmh could do this itself.

I don't know of any way to do this other than by compiling it yourself
and observing what you type for options.

> I want to know so that I can get a better idea what I'm doing in
> mts.conf when trying to set nmh up to use charybdis to send my mail
> for me. (Since I don't know how any of this works since I've never
> had to do any of it before, I suppose I could perfectly well run my
> own sendmail or equivalent, but I take it it would be a plus to have
> mail with my address on it actually coming from the address's host.)

nmh has an SMTP client in it? I didn't know nmh could do that, honestly.
I probably wouldn't be hard to set up qmail, if you need a local MTA.

> 2. Along those lines, are there any stupid gotchas I should be aware of?
>
> 3. I briefly entertained using OS X's Mail.app instead, but somehow the
> imported mailbox I tested it on (mh mailbox -> packf to mbox format ->
> mbox to native Mail.app import) claimed to have about 500 fewer messages
> than it was supposed to, and dated all of my old resent mail (from
> the vincent to ellipsis switch) with the dates of resending rather than
> the original dates (contra nmh which is sensitive to my needs). Oh
> well.

I'm unsure that I understand what you're wanting. Do you need something that
can act as a local MTA? Do you want to use charybdis as your SMTP server?

> 4. While looking for some mh documents I poked around Iowa State's computing
> site. Good lord is it pitiful now. I can't tell if all of their real technica
> information is still hiding somewhere or if it's all just stupid webmail
> and desktop installation instructions now. I can't even tell if they still
> allow shell access! What has the world come to?

That's sad.