Joel Uckelman on 15 Jul 2003 19:45:01 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] attachments are annoying

Thus spake Jeff Schroeder:

> >Speaking of mail, Joel, is there anything special I have to do to
> >send and receive mail via POP (understanding that I am aware that
> >you are using APOP)? I took a whack at it last week in a pinch and
> >though my client seemed to be talking to charybdis, it would never
> >accept my password as correct.
>
> I believe when using APOP you must generate a new password specifically for
> that purpose.  'popauth' comes to mind.

I shut off APOP authentication a while ago, and am now tunnelling POP over
SSL, which gives you the benefit of encrypting the whole session.

Instructions are here:

http://lists.ellipsis.cx/archives/hosers-announce/hosers-announce-200304/msg00002.html

If you have any difficulties, let me know.