Jon Stewart on 21 Jun 2002 23:42:04 -0000

Re: [hosers-talk] jon scratches his dandruffy head

> > And
> > I really don't understand why we're doing the same shit as the
> > all-recursive target (except using $@ instead of all).
>
> $@ is an automatic variable that holds the name of the make target. When you
> 'make install', make does a 'make install' in all of the specified
> subdirectories. Contrast that with the all-recursive target: it does a 'make
> all' in those same subdirs, not a 'make all-recursive'. So the same target
> won't work for both.

I figured $@ was holding either "install" or "uninstall", but didn't get
it that it was running "make install" on the subdirectories (I though it
was running "install" on them, without any arguments, which didn't make
sense to me).

> I think you should try the build process again, but do a 'make superclean'
> first.

I tried that, I think, and it said that there was nothing to do and/or no
matching target. I ran it after running./configure, too, which didn't seem
to have an effect on the build process.

> BTW, how'd you get a CS degree without learning how to use make? :)

Like I had to take any classes where make was required...

Mostly, UI is java. Javac is great; it more or less figures out source
dependencies for you.

For commercial work, I usually get by with what's built into the IDE, and
these days I'm eschewing make for Ant, which is nifty.

The less I have to worry about maintaining tedious source dependencies and
the like, the happier I am.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx

"and dropping a barbell, he points to the sky, saying 'the sun's not
yellow, it's chicken.'"

			-- Bob Dylan