Jon Stewart on 24 Mar 2002 22:36:35 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: super SuXE

> I have no idea what you are doing to install the kernel.  Are you building
> it yourself, i assume (and hope)?  Check your bootloader to make sure it is

I simply did a clean install off the CDs. This is a pristine install of
SuSE Linux 7.1 PPC. It comes with two kernels: 2.2.18 and 2.4.2. I checked
2.2.18; I left 2.4.2 (aware of the 2.4.x problems and based on previous
experience).

PPC Linuxes don't use LILO. "Old World" machines are Macs which have an
older version of OpenFirmware (it's like BIOS, only better; except when
it's broken...), which is broken. Also, my video hardware ain't too great,
being some shit that's right on the mobo.

The workaround for Macs like mine is to keep a MacOS partition for
booting. This properly builds the device tree in OF, using skanky
MacOS/ROM methods. Then a MacOS system extension comes up and lets you
boot into either MacOS or Linux. If you choose Linux, you can pass in
kernel arguments; you have to specify the boot partition (which I'm doing
correctly). BootX hands over the OF device tree to Linux, so Linux doesn't
have to build it itself; it's a neat little hack, and it's especially
useful for wacky video hardware like mine; Linux just uses the MacOS
driver.

So, I guess what I'm saying is this: the SuSE installer didn't do the
right thing, not even close.

Jon
wishes his gf would have moved her Compaq shitbox out here
--
Jon Stewart
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx

"and dropping a barbell, he points to the sky, saying 'the sun's not
yellow, it's chicken.'"

			-- Bob Dylan