Jeff Schroeder on 24 Mar 2002 22:21:11 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: SuXE

At 03:44 PM 3/24/2002, you wrote:
[snip]
Installation was more or less successful. I've got an old-world computer,
with broken OF, so it first starts into MacOS 8.x and uses BootX to switch
into linux. Using 2.2.18, everything boots up pretty well; I get some
modprobe dependency errors, but they look harmless enough as they all seem
to be symlinks relating to 2.4.2. Of course, kernel 2.4.2 just doesn't
work on my machine.

There are a bunch of known problems with the 2.4 kernels. They haven't really become stable until the > .14 series. Unless you really needs some of the new features it is safer to stick with 2.2.

After installation last night, I rebooted. Everything worked. During
installation, I'd only specified that eth0 should be brought up on my
D-Link 10/100 PCI card. SuSE's installer auto-detected it just fine; it's
using the via-rhine driver. My onboard ethernet is 10baseT, and is
auto-detected as Apple-MACE.

So, on first boot, eth0 came up. I ssh'ed in from my ThinkPad. I logged in
successfully. Great, I thought. I can go to bed and get Apache working
tomorrow, and then go from there.
[snip]
Today, eth0 will not come up.

I have used suse's yast&yast2 config tools to add eth1 for the onboard
ethernet. /etc/modules.conf has:

alias eth0 via-rhine
alias eth1 mace

Never used this method so I don't know. I am used to adding eth1 as an extra boot option in lilo.

right at the top. Starting up yast shows that eth0 and eth1 are correctly
configured and even active. When I exit and run rcnetwork restart, I get:

Shutting down network device eth1eth1: unknown interface: no such device
                                                                failed
Shutting down network device eth0eth0: unknown interface: no such device
                                                                failed

Looking in /proc/modules, I find nothing.

Looking in /var/log/messages, I find a few interesting things:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.2/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

(there are a few of these errors)

and

kernel: No module symbols loaded

Looking in /lib/modules, there's a 2.2.18 directory filled with
subdirectories and module libraries. There's no 2.4.2 library.

When you build the kernel did you also compile and install the modules? 'make modules' and 'make modules_install' might help.

Although a complete linux dummy, I am guessing that since I'm getting
these modprobe errors and since /proc/modules is empty (I'm guessing it
would list loaded modules), none of my modules are loading -- including my
ethernet drivers -- because somewhere modprobe is being told to look in
/lib/modules/2.4.2/, not /lib/modules/2.2.18.

I'm kind of amazed, though, that I can get a running system with no
modules loaded.

Modules aren't required by any means. You can compile everything into the kernel if you want. The point of modules is to make your kernel smaller (if you have space concerns) and has the advantage of unloading things you aren't using. I'd recommend making your ethernet drivers part of the kernel. This makes it boot a little bit faster, and if stuff gets corrupted in your /lib directory, you don't lose ethernet.

Rather than fix the root cause of this problem (that is, why modprobe
thinks I'm running 2.4.2), I was thinking about creating a symlink:

/lib/modules/2.4.2 -> /lib/modules/2.2.18

This will work, but may give a bunch of version problems. It shouldn't break anything. I'd start by finding out whether this is actually a modules problem or a driver problem.

jeff