Jon Stewart on 14 Nov 2001 13:54:09 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: PCs

> Roll your own. Unless stuff has changed drastically since last time I built
> a box, there are at least these three advantages:
>
> 1. You get to select (and therefore know) exactly what parts are in it.
> 2. You save a few hundred bucks.
> 3. As a corollary to 1, you don't pay for crap you don't need/want.

One big disadvantage:

1. I don't know what the hell I'm doing. :-)

I suppose I could bumble my way through it, though.

I ordered SuSE PPC for my Mac yesterday. I need a new C++ compiler with
better support for the standard and KDevelop sounds interesting. I'm going
to see if I can't get all my Mac stuff onto my little 500MB hd, leaving
the 2 GB hd for SuSE. We'll see how well SuSE supports the increasingly
Frankensteinish Power of Tower.

Expect stupid linux questions to start pouring in on Friday.

Jon