Josh on 28 Aug 2001 16:11:42 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: scary

Joel Uckelman sez:
>The "Quick Picks" recommendations I got when I visited Amazon just now make
>me think they already know WAY to much about me and my habits for my own
>good:
>
>Modal Logic by Brian F. Chellas
>The Evidential Argument from Evil by Daniel Howard-Snyde
>How Blind Is the Watchmaker? by Neil Broom, William A. Dembski

Buy enough more stuff and they'll mostly recommend you things related
to the new stuff.

>Also scary is how much I'm going to be spending on books Real Soon Now(tm):
>
>For two--count 'em, two (2)--seminars, my book bill will be very near $500
>assuming I buy everything, including the recommended books (how
>"recommended" are they, I wonder?), but economize by getting them from a
>combination of the UW bookstore, Amazon, and B&N, and by using the copy of
>Wittgenstein's _Investigations_ I already have. I'm not used to getting
>socked this hard for books, even for five or six classes. (BTW, how much
>are you shelling out, Josh?)

Ancient phil seminar: 4 dialogues from Hackett, $26. Metaphysics, $32.
Some other book, $38. ($96)

Phil of music (which I now don't know if I can take because it overlaps
the above seminar by about 20 minutes - nice one, scheduling it for
a time when two years worth of phd students are required to take another
class): two books, $42. Beethoven CD, $8. More to come I think, though
possibly in course packets. ($50)

Aesthetics: no books listed yet.

I've paid more like $300+ before, but that was for a number of classes,
some of them math. I think there may be quite a few non-book materials
for the first two classes above, which helps. I'm not real pleased about
having to buy a thirty dollar copy of the Metaphysics, though. Do you
know if the one in our 310 book is abridged at all? (Mine is in a box
still.)

Josh

--
josh blog: http://www.ellipsis.cx/~kortbein/blog/