Joel Uckelman on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:50:13 -0600 (CST)

[hosers-announce] new mail and pop3 servers

This evening I switched the mail transfer agent and pop3 server on
charybdis from qmail to Postfix, and from qmail-pop3d to dovecot,
respectively.

For a few users, it was necessary to make minor changes in order to
maintain their preferred delivery path:

1. If you are using Maildirs and had no ~/.procmailrc, I made you a
.procmailrc which delivers mail to your Maildir.

2. If you were using a ~/.qmail for forwarding, I made you a ~/.forward
which does the same thing. Thus anyone who has a ~/.qmail no longer needs
it.

One of the advantages of Postfix is that it can do a bunch of checking
during SMTP sessions, which allows it to reject lots of really obvious
spam, e.g., messages from fake domains, messages from servers which don't
properly identify themselves, etc. I've been running Postfix on scylla for
a week now with the same checks and haven't had any legitimate mail
rejected, so I expect this will be the case for charybdis as well. If you
notice that you're not receiving mail that you should be, let me know so I
can check whether it's being blocked.

difference you should notice is less spam.

--
J.