Joel Uckelman on 14 Apr 2003 19:12:01 -0000

[hosers-announce] switching to maildirs, POP3 over SSL

>From quoting:

You may have noticed that at points in the past you've received messages
that have lines starting with ">From ", but the > is not from a bit of
quoted text. This is due to the way that mail is stored on the spool.
Messages on the spool are separated by "From" lines, so lines within
messages that start with "From" must be escaped somehow. Unfortunately,
many mail readers do not undo this escaping (called From mangling), or do
not undo it properly. If this bothers you, you can switch from having your
un-inc'd mail sitting on the spool to storing it in a Maildir. Maildirs are
not subject to the From unqouting problem.

APOP -> POP3 over SSL:

If you currently use APOP, however, you *must* switch to maildirs. (I think
this applies only to Tom, since both Jeff and I have already switched.)
Later this week I will be removing the APOP client. There is already a POP3
client that is maildir-aware listening through an SSL tunnel on port 995
(the one you'd expect POP3s to be on, if you had expectations w/r/t POP3s).
POP3 over SSL is much more secure than APOP; shutting off APOP allows me to
throw away qpopper and close another port.

Note that if you don't care about proper From unquoting and you don't use
APOP, you need do nothing.

Instructions:

If you want to/need to use a maildir:

1. Make yourself a Maildir in your home directory. (It must be in your home
directory and called 'Maildir' if you want to use POP3s, otherwise
qmail-pop3d won't be able to find it.)

cd ~
maildirmake Maildir

2. If you have no .procmailrc, skip this step. If you have a .procmailrc,
add the following recipe to the end:

:0:
Maildir/

Without this, ALL of your mail not handled by a previous recipe will still
go to the spool.

3. If you use procmail, do this to create a .qmail file in your home
directory:

echo |preline /usr/bin/procmail -t >.qmail

If you don't use procmail:

echo ./Maildir/ >.qmail

4. From now on, use qinc instead of inc to incorporate mail into your
inbox. I wrote qinc, so if you find that it's behavior doesn't perfectly
replicate that of inc, or it isn't working properly, please tell me. You
will probably want to inc one last time after you make these changes to be
sure that there is no more mail for you on the spool.

5. If you want to use POP3 over SSL:

If your POP client is fetchmail, change the proto to POP3 and add an 'ssl'
in the query string somewhere. This probably applies to Tom only, and I'm
sure he already knows how to do it.

If you POP client is something else, e.g., Eudora or <shudder> Outlook, you
can find instructions for what to do here:

http://www.doit.wisc.edu/wiscmail/configuring/index.asp

I don't know if there is anyone who will be doing this, but if there is and
you get stuck, ask me about it.

6. After making these changes, test them by sending yourself some mail. If
you find that you've broken your mail setup, I'll be glad to look at it for
you.

I think these instructions are fairly complete. If you run into any
complications, let me know.

Thanks.

--
J.