Joel Uckelman on 28 Jan 2003 18:19:01 -0000

[hosers-announce] APOP now with real SSL flavor!

Since UW is planning to eliminate unencrypted POP3 access, I had to learn
how to use POP3 over SSL, which made me curious about how difficult it
would be to set up encrypted APOP on charybdis. As it turns out, not very
hard at all. If you pull mail from charybdis (instead of reading it
locally), you now also have the option of doing that over an SSL tunnel on
port 995. I'm not sure if anyone else does this but me, but here's what to
do to get it to work:

1. If you use fetchmail (Jeff?), add the 'ssl' keyword as a user option.
2. If you use Eudora or Outlook, follow the instructions here:
http://www.doit.wisc.edu/WiscMail/configuring/index.asp

Keep in mind that if you want to continue using normal APOP, you can just
ignore this.

--
J.