David E. Smith on 26 Jan 2003 03:24:01 -0000

Re: [hosers-announce] spam filtering

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Sara L Friedemann wrote:

> Wow - that's almost the opposite of me.  Since I got this account in
> August, I've received two pieces of spam (which were identified correctly),
> and then have had nearly two dozen false positives - including one from
> my grandmother with a recipe for green beans.  In my book, false
> positives are a lot worse than false negatives, since I don't check my
> spam folder very often, so I'm definitely looking forward to trying
> bogofilter.

Unfortunately, the best ways to deal with that can't (I don't think -
never tried) be set up on a system-wide level, like what Joel is doing.

I'm the only user of my system, so I just run SpamAssassin from procmail.
There, you can give it other command-line options to tweak how well it
works -- specifically, the auto-whitelist feature. (That tracks the
long-term reputation of senders, so after receiving a few non-spam emails
from grandma@xxxxxxx, her emails will be more-or-less automatically be
treated as non-spam. And of course you can force certain senders onto the
whitelist from the command line.)

Again, well, it works for me. But hey, it's not my system. :-)

...dave