Joel Uckelman on Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:58:30 -0700 (MST)

Re: [game-lang] review of GDL

Thus spake Simon McGregor:
> Just a quick comment - if I recall correctly, Magic the Gathering has
> a rule that if the game goes into am infinite loop, the result is a
> draw. I suspect that the rules for MtG are in fact expressive enough
> to make this formally undecidable in the general case.

I think with cards from one of the first few editions of MtG, you could
even create rules paradoxes. That loop rule might not have existed in
first edition, I don't remember, the early 90s are getting to be quite
some time ago now. I do recall that they banned some card from tourneys
for reasons related to all this.

I would not be surprised to find your undecidability claim is true. It
would be kind of a fun thing to prove. :)

--
J.