Marc Lanctot on Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:21:10 -0700 (MST)

Re: [game-lang] review of GDL

On 10-07-27 03:10 PM, Joel Uckelman wrote:

When I first encountered GDL, I thought it *was* a situation calculus.

The big issue with the situation calculus is the frame problem, which GDL
(and Datalog derivatives generally) don't have because there any formulas
which can't be proved to be true are automatically false.

The fluent calculus gets around this, aparently:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluent_calculus

We might want a fluent calculus.

Did you see the two references on Wikipedia article for the fluent calculus? It's one of the main guys pushing GGP and GDL. In fact, it's also the sole author of GDL-II. I attended his talk at AAAI on GDL-II two weeks ago.

  http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~mit/Papers/AAAI10a.pdf

This is why I love academia. :)

Marc