Joel Uckelman on Thu, 31 May 2007 14:32:12 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] US Memorial Day remembrance

Thus spake MICHAEL P GORMAN:
> You really saw the effect of being on a ship in the wounded information.  Mos
> t sailors were killed outright or not harmed at all.  Deaths outnumbered inju
> ries by a fair bit.  Very different from land combat figures where the wounde
> d usually far outnumber the killed.

If I had to take a guess, being a rifleman in the Army was probably one of
the least dangerous combat roles overall, at least during WWII. There was
one point in the war when bomber crews had something like 17% attrition
per mission, and being in a tank crew made you a big target for the Tigers.

--
J.