Joel Uckelman on Mon, 28 May 2007 07:32:04 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] US Memorial Day remembrance

Thus spake "Bill Jaffe":
> We can't see each other over the cyber wires (yet), but as a child of a vet,
> married to a 28.5 year retired LTC, her uncle dropped 4 times from the 82nd
> in WWII, and her father was the bomb officer on the Enola Gay, loaded the
> bombs onto the planes for Nagasaki and Hiroshima... Oh and we've got 1
> cousin in Iraq - God be with them all.

Huh. The grandfather of one of my friends from high school was the radio
operator on the USS Missouri who radioed out the news of the Japanese
surrender. My grandfather was in France in WWI. I think that my great-
grandfather was in the Franco-Prussian War. Two of my great uncles were
on the Eastern Front in WWII, and one died in a POW camp in Mongolia.
The little town of Glidden, seven miles from where I grew up, was the
home of the Merle Hay, who they claim was first American soldier killed
in combat in WWI---though I don't see how they could know that, given
that he died in the middle of the night in a trench raid, probably
"among the first" is more accurate.

--
J.