Joel Uckelman on Sun, 18 Mar 2007 06:53:27 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] Prussian Economic Phase, 3/07

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> Do others agree that having negative manpower would trigger bankruptcy ?  Or
> is it just the same as having zero manpower with no additional penalty ?  Or
> do you simply lose as much as you are able, and then get no political
> benefit from the manipulation ?
>
> On a separate but related rules question...
>
> Yes, I know that if we weren't using option 11.9.1.2, a country would
> otherwise go into Civil Disorder if it could "collect" no home nation
> manpower.  But Economic Manipulation seems to be a separate step from the
> Money/Manpower Collection step.  Also, the rules for Civil Disorder seem to
> take no other possible cause into account except occupation by an enemy.  So
> can Civil Disorder (or, with the option we are using, mandatory
> Unconditional Surrender) be triggered by your own Economic Manipulation ?

Bankruptcy is only ever mentioned w/r/t money, so I take it that you can't
go bankrupt for lack of manpower. This seems in accord with the nontechnical
usage of the word. The only thing which explicitly prevents a power from
getting the benefit of EM is enemy occupation of its capital---even
bankruptcy doesn't prevent EM from taking place, and in particular, not in
the case when EM is the cause of bankruptcy (or negative manpower
collection). So I think that banruptcy isn't relevant here.

8.2.2 says that manpower collection may be negative due to EM, so the
manpower effect happens during manpower collection. In this case, home
nation manpower is part of the sum which makes up total manpower. In
the present case, Prussia *is* collecting home nation manpower: There's
9 points of it. If no home nation manpower were collected, then the
defefict would be -10, not -1. I read the civil disorder rule 8.7
as requirng that some home province generates manpower, not that that
manpower is ultimately available for use.

So, my take is that collecting negative manpower has no further effect.
The rules are silent on paying back negative manpower; if that were the
case for Prussia, I'd expect the rules to say so.

--
J.