Joel Uckelman on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:23:43 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] French round 1 at Paris

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> At 07:45 AM 2/21/2007, you wrote:
> >Are proportional losses by nationality calculated round-by-round, or at the
> >end of the battle ?  I'm trying to figure out how many of Austria's losses
> >can be taken as milita, since it's a given that we'll go over a morale loss
> >of 2.0 next round.
> >
> >I guess the answer to my question is 5 Coalition casualties in round one X
> >.477 = 2 Austrian losses that can be taken as militia.
> >
> >-JJY
> My understanding is that technically, losses are assigned round by round
> but in most battles it never matters so we don't bother.

I think that there's only one situation in which casualties must be
determined round-by-round during the battle: when the loss of one more
feudal cavalry would affect cavalry superiority, and there's a choice
between taking a feudal cavalry casualty and something else. Otherwise,
there's no real decision to be made about what to take as casualties.

We still have to calculate the casualties round-wise in the present case,
but there's not a decision to be made about the casualties, so it could
just as well be done after the battle.

--
J.