James Helle on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:49:39 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] Battle of Leopoldstadt resolution

OK.  Well, the problem I see with *all* of our suggestions is the
declaration of war.  Maybe we could simply do this:  7.3.8.3 states that MPs
who have field forces *already in an area* where an attack has been declared
on an ally may choose to stay and declare war on the attacker.  Maybe the
simplest rule is that if there are field forces in an *adjacent area* that
you are not at war with then you cannot reinforce.  You should not be
allowed to declare war in the middle of the land phase on a MP who has not
declared an attack on any of your forces.  What is the consensus on this?

-----Original Message-----
From: eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Kyle H
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 12:18 PM
To: public list for an Empires in Arms game
Subject: Re: [eia] Battle of Leopoldstadt resolution

    Oh well, so much for staying quiet!  :-)
    Jim, you are the one who wants to *force* the two parties to declare
war.  So *you* are the one bringing in an additional and unnecessary rules
set.  That is, you are the one who is "mixing and matching" rules.  7.3.8
already includes provisions that allow corps who are not currently at war
with an attacker the opportunity to declare war.  So the opportunity to
declare war is already in the rules set that I was suggesting.  You are
trying to put more on top of it by *forcing* the two parties to declare war
(and thereby introducing an additional rules set from 4.6.4.2).
    Aside from the point about mixing and matching rules, the general
problem is that your suggestion cuts off the possibility of just one nation
successfully reinforcing.  You are saying that if they both declare an
intention to reinforce, then they both automatically fail without even
attempting the reinforcement roll.  I think it's a mistake to force a
decision at that point, when it's possible that one corps will successfully
reinforce and the other will fail (based on dice rolls).  The application of
whatever new rule we come up with should only take place in the unlikely
event that both sides successfully reinforce (because if only one side
successfully reinforces, then there's no problem).
    If both sides successfully reinforce and they are not at war with each
other (that was the original problem) *and* they cannot declare war on each
other due to enforced peace (an additional layer added on top of the
original problem), *then* they should have to return to their areas of
origin.  I don't think they should automatically fail to reinforce as soon
as both reinforcement attempts are announced (without a roll).  This allows
exactly the sort of gamesmanship that someone was talking about earlier -
declaring a reinforcement attempt just for the purpose of nerfing someone
else's reinforcement attempt.  I think that's a bad idea.
    My position is make the rolls first, and then deal with the
consequences.  If only one side reinforces, then there is no problem and we
don't need to change anything.  If both sides reinforce successfully and are
not at war with each other, then the must decide to either declare war or
withdraw back to where they started.  (In situations of enforced peace, they
*can't* declare war, so they'd *have* to return to where they started.)

Ok, I'm going to try to be done now.  ;-)

kdh