Kyle H on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:23:06 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] Battle of Leopoldstadt resolution

    "Gamey"?  We're playing a game!
    The rule I suggested (#2) follows the model provided by Declaration of
Combat and Combined Movement in section 7.3.8.  If my rule is "gamey," then
so are those rules.  (7.3.8.4 and 7.3.8.6 specify that corps that are not at
war with *all* the nations on the opposing side must leave the area of the
battle.)  And if you want to throw those rules out too, then you're
basically just making up your own game.
    The basic principle of 7.3.8 is that you can't have a fight in an area
if that area contains a corps that is not at war with
*all* the powers in the opposing side.  (Quoting directly from 7.3.8.7:
"This will now leave just two forces in every area where an attack has been
declared, the attacking force ... and the defending force.")  When a corps
is not at war with the opponents on one side, 7.3.8 kicks that corps out of
the area to allow the fighters to fight.  My suggestion just specifies where
the stack gets kicked out to (back to its area of origin) *if* it chooses
not to declare war.
    After all, the result that Joel finds "gamey" is avoided entirely if the
reinforcer just declares war against its opponents.  As I see it, the only
thing "gamey" here is someone who is trying to fight nations that he is not
at war with.  If he isn't willing to put up the PPs to declare war, then he
deserves his "gamey" fate.  :-)
    I think my suggestion #2 is the best way to go within the rules.
However, I could also support Jim's suggestion (#1).  However, I'm adamantly
opposed to letting armies fight against nations with which they are not at
war.

kdh