Joel Uckelman on Tue, 8 Aug 2006 02:24:07 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] French leader checks

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> At 01:37 PM 8/7/2006, you wrote:
> >     Normally, the opponent rolls for leader casualties (or at least, that's
> >the way we've always done it).
> >     Is there a house-rule in place that says each leader present at a battl
> >gets a *separate* roll to become a casualty?  I ask because that's not what
> >the rules say to do.  (If it is a house rule, I have no problem with it,
> >btw.  I actually think it makes sense.  But this would be one of those
> >things that I was asking about a couple weeks ago.)
> >
> >kdh
> Not that I'm aware of.  I believe they keep the one roll per battle rule to
> avoid having major generals dying all the time as that was very uncommon
> historically.  Up through brigade commanders it was not so uncommon to see
> a commander in the charge with his troops, but corps and army commanders
> were expected to be back with their staff controlling the battle as a whole
> and if someone was shooting them it was either a skilled sharpshooter
> infiltrating their lines or a really, really bad day for their army.

Of all the leaders represented in the game, the only ones which died during
1805-1815 are:

Kutusov (illness)
Bagration (at Borodino)
Brunswick (at Auerstedt)
Moore (at Corunna)
Nelson (at Trafalgar)
Murat (captured by the rival king of Naples and executed)
Ney (executed for treason after Napoleon was exiled for the second time)
Cuestas (wounds suffered in 1810)
Pechlivan Khan (at Bazardzik)

(I wasn't able to determine whether Kushanz Ali survied beyond 1815, and
the Grand Vizier, not being a single individual, doesn't count.)

So, I count 6 battle deaths in 11 years. Assuming that both sides always
have a leader, there is a 2/216 chance of a leader death per battle. So
6 deaths over the course of the game would require an average of 648
battles, or roughly 58 per year, 4.8 per month. The average comes down
a bit it you don't count Nelson.

--
J.