Michael Gorman on Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:57:33 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] [escrow] July 1806 Political Orders

At 07:26 AM 7/25/2006, you wrote:
>Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> > One could argue that since Napoleon's three corps passed through East and
> > West Prussia and Masovia to get to Russia, access through those
> provinces to
> > get back cannot be denied.
> >
> > I'm a little hazy on this, obviously.  For instance, if Napoleon marches
> > south into Austria, must Prussia allow French access through those
> provinces
> > for whenever Napoleon wants to "return" to France along the Baltic coast ?
> > At what point is the return route access ended ?
> >
> > -JJY
>
>I had thought that once access is revoked, it ends once you've left.
>Once a corps moves out of a province to which it no longer has access,
>it can't come back (unless it gets access again).

The rule is quite explicit that that is not the case.  It is however one of
the less clearly written rules in its application.  In this case the new
condition being to restrict French movement in eastern Prussia it would
seem that once the French forces have moved west of an area they cannot go
east again into the areas now banned to them.  This would seem to keep with
the spirit of the new restriction and the right of return clause in the
access rules.

I see this as the current situation for Napoleon's stack:  At this point
the three spaces due north of him to Konigsberg  would only be accessible
if they led to his only available route west.  The two spaces east of that
line would already have been returned past so they would now be banned
under the new restrictions.