Joel Uckelman on Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:22:28 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Prussian Reinforcements June 1806

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> At 11:00 AM 7/6/2006, you wrote:
> >I had assumed that you could not trace supply through another's territory
> >without access, but maybe this assumption is wrong.  I don't have time to
> >look through the rules right now, but I'll get back to it this evening.
> >Anybody else have an opinion ?
>
> The access rules explicitly allow supply lines to trace through
> uncontrolled minors, but don't say anything about major powers.  They are
> explicit that you cannot move forces through a major power territory, build
> depots or occupy cities without permission or war, but they are silent on
> tracing supply lines.  If tracing a supply line is considered a form of
> movement, then it would be prohibited without access.
>
> Otherwise we may run into the oddity that since Prussia and Austria are
> allied, they cannot be enemy forces to each other so even though Austria is
> aiding Turkey in attacking Prussia, they are still friendly to Prussia
> officially and cannot restrict Prussia supply lines.
>
> Mike

The relevant rules are under 10.3.1, in case anyone else wants to look.
I'm not at home right now, so I can't check, but it would also be worth
looking at the access form which is on one of the cards to see if it
says anything about tracing supply.

10.3.1.1 and 10.3.1.2 contrast minors with majors on all points except
that tracing supply is left out of 10.3.1.2. I'd always assumed that
that the omission of tracing supply from 10.3.1.2 was unintentional---
supply chains involve a lot of wagons and detachments of troops too
small to be represented at the scale of EiA, but they're just as much
a military operation as a corps moving through or a depot being built.

I think that Prussia could trace supply through Austria without access
by invoking 10.3.4 (Forcible Access), but I don't think it can be done
for free unless Austria consents.

--
J.