J.J. Young on Sat, 20 May 2006 16:56:11 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Birmingham results

Here are the relevant rules:

7.5.2.10.3 Retreat After Losing A Combat: The loser is retreated one area by
the victor. This occurs after pursuit (if any).

7.5.2.10.3.1: All retreats must be into an adjacent land area that is
closest (any closest area, if several qualify equally) to the nearest depot
of any nationality in the losing forceforce, or if none is on the map,
towards that force's nearest controlled national capital city.

7.5.2.10.3.3: If the area retreated to contains an unbesieged enemy corps,
cossack, freikorps or depot garrison, the force is retreated one more area
(same rules as 7.5.2.10.3.1), etc., until an open area is reached.

7.5.2.10.3.4: Retreat across a crossing arrow or onto ships is not
permitted.

7.5.2.10.3.5: A force may not retreat into the same area twice in the same
retreat.

7.5.2.10.3.6: A force must surrender (A army factors and leaders in the
force become prisoners) if no retreat route is available.

So I think that what Joel's saying is that the French retreat
Birmingham ---> London ---> Dover (SE of London), and then they have to move
to another area which is as close as possible to Paris, even though that
would be further from Paris than the Dover area.  Since they can't retreat
to London again, the only alternative is Portsmouth.

Hmm.  I'm not sure.  The first part of 7.5.2.10.3.1 talks about moving to
"an adjacent land area closest to the nearest depot", which is what Joel is
going by.  But the second part of the rule talks about moving "_towards_ the
nearest capital city", which implies that all retreat moves must bring the
retreating force closer to the depot or capital city in question.

So the question is, which of these two parts of the rule was the intention
of the rulemakers, and which one was sloppily added without considering that
it meant something different ?

Unfortunately, Jim, upon consideration I think I have to agree with Joel.
Here's a hypothetical situation that convinces me of this:

A major power has no depots on the map, and its army fights and loses a
battle outside its own capital city.  I do not think it is the intention of
the rules that this army must surrender, since anywhere it retreats would be
further from the capital than where the retreat started.

However, I can see perfectly well how Jim could have interpreted the rule
the way he did.  I think it would be reasonable to allow Jim to have his
corps now at Dover stay in London instead, which would result in Ney ending
up at Dover.

-JJY