Joel Uckelman on Sat, 20 May 2006 15:28:57 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Birmingham results

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> Hmm.  Depot garrisons also prevent a retreating force from staying in an
> area, so the shortest retreat path of (Birmingham ---> London ---> SE of
> London ---> blocked crossing arrow = no retreat possible) may be correct.

I think that the French retreat to Portsmouth: The requirement in
7.5.2.10.3.1 is that retreates be into an adjacent land area closest
to the nearest depot of the nationality being retreated. The Dover
area isn't adjacent to itself, so it doesn't count. Lille is disqualified
by 7.5.2.10.3.4 because it's adjacent across an arrow, and London is
disqualified by 7.5.2.10.3.5 because the French retreated through it
prior to arriving at Dover. Hence the only remaining adjacent are is
Portsmouth.

The salient fact here is that 7.5.2.10.3.1 does not require that the
the French are always cutting the distance to a depot with every step,
just that the next move is into the closest of the adjacent areas. The
only places on the map where you can capture a force due to lack of
retreat options are 3-area or smaller islands, where it's practical
to fill *all* of the areas.

--
J.