William Jaffe on Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:02:01 -0600 (CST)

[eia] Interception after Fleets are forced from a port

Don't agree. This is still an interception combat, with the fleets trying to
fight through the blockade. Interception is automatic, wind guage is
automatuc, but the PRINCIPAL of how combat occurs in the box cannot be
different unless the RULES explicitly define a difference, whick they do
not.

Bill Jaffe

Playing Wargames since 1958, and 18xx since 1829...

billj6203@xxxxxxxxx

Thus spake "William Jaffe":

> 6.3.1.1 is very clear:

> "The attacker is the phasing side if 6.2.4 applies, or the non-phasing

> intercepting side if the combat is caused by an interception."

> Therefore, France is the attacker.

> This is because France could actually let the fleets go through, and

> therefore initiates combat by intercepting.

I don't think that there's any decision to be made about interception when a
fleet is driven out of port---I read 6.2.6.1 as jumping straight to the
combat if the player who owns the fleet so chooses. So I don't agree that
Mike could have let the fleets pass by.

Hence I'm inclined to say that 6.3.1.1 doesn't give any guidance in this
case, since no one is phasing or intercepting.

--

J.