jjy on Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:59:09 -0600 (CST)

RE: [eia] 2nd Battle of the Forth, Coalition roll

Here is the relevant rule:

6.2.6 ENEMY CONTROL OF A FLEET'S PORT: If a port in which a fleet is located
becomes enemy-controlled, the fleet must be moved immediately (this will not
happen during a Naval Phase, but during other phases and steps, including
during a Declarations of War Step) into an adjacent sea area or the port's
blockade box. Harbour defences are never used against fleets leaving a port.

6.2.6.1: If the port is blockaded by an enemy fleet at the time, the fleet in
the port is scuttled instead and all its fleets and ships are lost.
Alternately, if desired, the blockaded fleet(s) may choose to fight the
blockading fleet(s), with the wind gauge automatically going to the blockading
fleet(s). The blockaded fleet(s) remains in the blockade box if it wins the
combat. The blockaded fleet(s) must be scuttled if it loses the naval combat.

I had thought the wording was that the blockaded fleet had to "attack" the
blockaders if driven out of the port, but the rule uses the vaguer "fight" the
blockading fleets.  So I guess it is an interception combat (?) and the
blockaders are the attackers (?)

Does anyone disagree ?  This is a gray area, and I'm biased; I certainly don't
want to ram this down anyone's throat.

If this is indeed the way we'll eventually interpret the result, then the
Viking Armada must choose to retreat to a port or be retreated to an adjacent
sea area.

-JJY