Joel Uckelman on Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:48:34 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] diplomatic ettiquette

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> There is one rule of ettiquette that I have always stuck to in this =
> game, which isn't official but I think is a good idea.  I never forward =
> or directly copy another player's email to a third player, unless the =
> writer asks me to do so.  Since _all_ communication is written in a PBEM =
> game, it would be easy to stir the pot by directly showing someone what =
> other countries think of them, etc.  But I think it's better to have to =
> tell them, and they can believe you or not.
>
> Anyway, that's how most of us have always played diplomacy in this game =
> (as far as I know).  Is there anyone that strongly disagrees ?
>
> -JJY

I do.

If, for example, Mike forwards me something which claims to be from
JJ, firstly I have to ascertain whether it really is from JJ, and secondly
whether it's been altered. (That is perhaps a reason *not* to
cryptographically sign your messages, since it gives you plausible
deniability.)

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but we've all contributed ample "writing samples"
to the list archive, as well as all of the private messages we've each
received, so I don't think it would be at all difficult to fabricate a message
from another player, and in fact I think that having to be wary of that
possibility with regard to forwarded messages is very interesting indeed.

And also I seem to recall having forwarded messages and been the recipient
of forwarded messages in the past, so I know that at least one other
(perhaps current) player disagrees, though I don't recall who anymore.

--
J.