Michael Gorman on Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:14:49 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] losing players

At 12:08 AM 7/24/2005, you wrote:
> My enjoyment from the game came from thinking of it as a long term endeavor.
> Since Joel and Mike have pointed out many reasons why a short term strategy
> is often optimal, I am very much less interested in playing.  So much so
> that I don't think it's worth my while any more.

I think this is a misunderstanding.  I thought that Joel and later Mike were
trying to say that in the _present_case_, Britain had a big lead and could
control others' chances to reverse the fortunes of the game by controlling sea access. As a result, the best thing would be to declare GB the winner and move on to another campaign. I did _not_ take their arguments to apply to campaigns
in general, and in fact my impression is that they think players who follow a
short-term strategy should and probably will lose.

I am convinced enough by the arguments about the present game that I think we
should start over, but I feel this is a very, very exceptional case, and that
in almost all instances one player being in the lead is not sufficient cause
for ending a campaign.  Does anyone disagree with this ?  If so, I would like
to know.

-JJY

JJ is correct. My expectations is that this game has shown us pretty much the upper limit. Everything fell together right. By whatever combination of planning and luck, JJ came out ahead in action after action and he racked up points at a huge rate. In our last game, no one was doing that and I completely agree that that game ended at a point that it should not have. I don't see any way to avoid a game ending if people get really fed up with it, but I don't think this game is at this point so I'm not that concerned that the next game will. This game is just one where one player blitzed ahead.

As far as incentive, JJ doesn't need an incentive to win early, has to choose to not win early. And there is no incentive in the game to throw away victory points in order to not win. And that is what has to happen for someone else to catch up. Yes, cooperative victories are entirely within the scope of this game, but JJ has to avoid victory in order to have one and that just seems silly.