Michael Gorman on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:59:06 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] impasse

At 01:30 PM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
I don't know how to feel about continuing the present game.

I wholeheartedly agree with the view that there has to be some kind of "line
drawn in the sand" about continuing a game through your own country's ups
and downs.  This is because I want to feel like there's a reasonable chance
that a campaign game, whether the present one or a new one, can continue
through its whole length, and I can play with long-term strategy in mind.

On the other hand, Joel has been clear that he feels the present game
situation is broken (in terms of players having fun playing), I assume
Sterling and any theoretical seventh player would prefer to start over, and
others might be on the fence but have reasons to look forward to hitting the
reset button.  I don't want to create ill will by forcing the current game
down several players' throats.  Also I must admit that the (apparently)
widespread belief that continuing would simply be a "victory lap" for
Britain would spoil a lot of the fun for me.

So to sum up, continuing the present game feels wrong to me, but starting
over without any reason to think this won't happen all over again after 2-3
game years is disheartening.

My feeling is that as a group, we have been too committed to all or nothing wars and wanting to achieve game long goals in the first year or two.

As a result, games end decisively far earlier than they did historically since people fight to the death where the original powers had a clear idea of wanting to exist in a hundred years and would back down. I believe that we will continue to see short games on the campaign scale if we continue to launch our nations into all or nothing conflagrations. In our current game we've seen Russia, Prussia, Austria and France all shattered in under three years. In the real Napoleonic Wars, everyone involved backed down as soon as things started looking bad and accepted short term losses in the hope of regaining them later. We haven't been as accepting of the idea of losing something now in order to get something later.

So, barring some of us starting to believe that achieving a goal in 1810 or 1812 is an acceptable time to wait, I believe we will continue to see short, incredibly violent games. Great for action packed play, not so great for long game length.

Mike