Joel Uckelman on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:59:01 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] impasse

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> I don't know how to feel about continuing the present game.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with the view that there has to be some kind of "line
> drawn in the sand" about continuing a game through your own country's ups
> and downs.  This is because I want to feel like there's a reasonable chance
> that a campaign game, whether the present one or a new one, can continue
> through its whole length, and I can play with long-term strategy in mind.

I want to be very clear that this issue has nothing to do with the current
situation; I'm not sure why it's coming up right now at all. We have yet to
see anyone resign for the stated reason that they've not fared well. Nate
resigned for lack of time, not because of how he's doing at the moment. And
we both advocate starting over not because of our present situation, but
because we think that who will win is no longer in doubt. I would be
advocating the same thing if I were in the position of having a lock on a
win myself.

> On the other hand, Joel has been clear that he feels the present game
> situation is broken (in terms of players having fun playing), I assume
> Sterling and any theoretical seventh player would prefer to start over, and
> others might be on the fence but have reasons to look forward to hitting the
> reset button.  I don't want to create ill will by forcing the current game
> down several players' throats.  Also I must admit that the (apparently)
> widespread belief that continuing would simply be a "victory lap" for
> Britain would spoil a lot of the fun for me.

This misstates my position a bit. I wouldn't feel any ill will toward anyone
if we continued; nor would I feel like I'm being force to do so. As for the
present situation, I count only two others who profess to agree with me. (I
say _profess_ because anything in diplomatic messages should be taken with a
grain of salt.) So not a majority, at the moment.