Michael Gorman on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:47:48 -0500 (CDT)

RE: [eia] impasse

At 11:08 AM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
I'm not dead set on bidding caps, I was just throwing mud on the wall.  :)

And I agree with Kyle wholeheartedly that we will never finish a game if we
continue to start over.  That was my reason for stating that we need to
decide on a mechanism to prevent it, whether that mechanism is UMPs or
something else.  I am content to continue our current game, but if the
majority opinion is to start over then I'm not entirely opposed either.

One of the points I think we're skipping here is that what Joel is saying is the this game isn't ending early, it's over.

JJ has won smashingly on every front and Britain is really, really far ahead. I can conceive of maybe winning with him if Britain delays victory by giving up points to reduce others totals, but that's about it. If JJ just keeps going, he's going to win easily, the only question is does he slow himself down to take someone else along.

So it is entirely valid to say this was a short game where one power just kicked-ass so it ends early. Something to be impressed by, not something to complain about.

In our last game, we were in the middle of the wars that might have let someone break out into the lead, but it was not clear if that would happen or who would break out, so that was a game that we ended early, not a game that was done.

Mike