Joel Uckelman on Sat, 7 May 2005 13:50:02 -0500 (CDT)

[eia] computer problem

The processor in my desktop machine died last night due to the intersection
of bad design and poor lighting.* I'm ordering a new one today, so I should
have it sometime next week. This doesn't prevent me from reading my mail, but
it does prevent me from referencing any of my records.

*Explanation: I was installing a new heatsink fan, which was about 3mm
thinner than the old one. Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the heatsink
decided that it was a good idea to make the screws precisely the right
length for the old fan and combined that with drilling the holes all the
way through the heat sink. Even that would not have been a problem had
one of the holes not been over a corner of the processor. When I tightened
the screws for the new fan, one of the screws ended up being tightened
into the processor, which of course killed it. Had I had better lighting,
I might have been able to see this before it happened, but then I also had
no reason to expect that the holes went through to the bottom, or that it
was designed to have no clearance. ARGH!

--
J.