Michael Gorman on Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:57:00 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] relief battle clarification

At 03:48 PM 4/24/2005, you wrote:
Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> I see what you're saying, but I don't see how the relieving army could have
> any control over the actions of the garrison, since presumably the siege has
> cut off the garrison from communication.

That's another reason why it seems wierd to me that they could affect my
morale, since my army would likely be unable to see or communicate with
the garrison until such time as the battle is nearly won.

If they leave the city and join the battle, they can break. If they break, the city falls and the battlefield would change considerably in favor of the besieger who is no longer between hostile forces. Similarly, if they don't break, they keep a chunk of the sieging army away from the relief army and cause problems for the besieger.