James Helle on Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:38:09 -0600 (CST)

[eia] Fw: [SPAM] Battle of La Rochelle

----- Original Message -----
From: J.J. Young
To: jhelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: britain@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 7:57 PM
Subject: [SPAM] Battle of La Rochelle

Jim, here's the writeup for the battle of La Rochelle, including the factor we forgot about tactical ratings.  If you don't see any other errors, then go ahead and forward it to eia@xxxxxxxxxx

Jim and I saw each other Saturday, and resolved the relief battle at La Rochelle face-to-face.  Here's what happened;

The British chose ASSAULT, the French chose DEFEND.

This meant that tactical ratings would have no affect on the die rolls.

The British forces were the 6 Portuguese I inside the city, the VI British corps with 4 I, and the British Cavalry corps with 6 C (morale 3.4).  The French forces were the IV corps with 6 M (morale 2.0).

The British had cavalry superiority, for a +1 DRM.

In round one, the British rolled 4+1 = 5 on table 3-1, inflicting -1.1 morale and 10% of 16 = 2 casulaties on the French.  The French rolled 2 on table 4-1, inflicting -0.4 morale and 5% of 6 = 0 casualties on the British.

In round two, the British rolled 1+1 = 2 on table 3-1, inflicting -0.2 morale and 5% of 16 = 1 casualty on the French.  The French rolled 4 on table 4-2, inflicting -1.6 morale and 15% of 4 = 1 casualty on the British.

In round three, the British rolled 6+1 = 7 on table 2-1, inflicting -1.4 morale and 10% of 15 = 2 casualties on the French.  The French rolled 4 on table 4-3, inflicting -2.0 morale and 15% of 3 = 0 casualties on the British.

Both sides break, resulting in a draw with no change in PPs.

Total casualties were 5 French M and 1 British I.

The Portugal corps returns into the city, while according to rule 7.5.4.2.3.1.1, the two British corps must retreat to one of the areas from which they approached the city.  Since I failed to specify the exact path for the Cav corps from Paris to La Rochelle, I'll retreat them to the area from which the I corps came from Marseilles; the forest space east of La Rochelle.

I think that's everything.

-JJY

I agree that this seems to be an accurate summary of the battle.

JRH