Joel Uckelman on Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:39:25 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] Spanish Land Phase, Sep 06

Thus spake Sterling Wight:

> Among the many things I didn't catch was the distinction between the
> fleet being off Alexandria and being in Alexandria. Is the only
> advantage of being in Alexandria with my fleet that it can't be
> attacked by other fleets?

No. Being in port doesn't prevent other fleets from attacking yours, though
if you have a garrison in the port then the harbor guns get to take a whack
at the enemy fleet on their way in. Generally it's not worth it to attack
fleets in port if the harbor guns are manned. (E.g., the harbor guns at Cadiz
are the equivalent of 100 men-o-war, while the tiny harbor at Jaffa is only
10 and Benghazi has no guns at all.)

There are three differences between being in port and being at sea (in your
case, in the sea zone off Damietta):

1. You can't use a fleet in port to provide invasion supply.
2. During your Econ Phase, you pay $1 in maintenance per fleets in port
or in blockade boxes, but $5 per fleet at sea.
3. A Fleet may only transport a corps when the fleet begins its movement
in port with the corps.

So, by moving your fleet into port you saved yourself $4 and opened the
possibility of transporting a corps away from Alexandria in October, but
prevented yourself from using invasion supply.