Michael Gorman on Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:34:45 -0600 (CST)

RE: [eia] Austrian reinforcements, July '06

At 02:02 PM 12/12/2004, you wrote:
> Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> > At 07:31 AM 12/9/2004, you wrote:
> > >1I placed with Charles at Mainz.
> > >Mack placed with the Venetian corps.
> > >
> > >Nothing else visible.
> >
> > Doesn't the Venetian navy get placed at some point now that the
> > Kingdom of
> > Italy is declared?
>
> It should be, yes.

Ah yes, quite right, how could I have missed it?  Alright, so we'll head
on down to the docks in Venice and HEY there's a few brigs.  And a
couple of sloops!  And...do my eyes deceive me?  Could that be...yes,
yes it's a FRIGATE!  All told, I'd say that's a fleet that's equivalent
in power to a your typical line-of-battle ship.  We're on our way!

I had always wondered about 99 ships for the British. Why not round it to an even 100? Ran into the statistic somewhere else coming from the British Admiralty that 99 was in fact the number of British ships of the line in early 1805.

I'm pretty sure that the game in no way accounts for the hundreds of lesser vessels that all nations fielded. I can't recall the exact British number in 1805 but it was hundreds of men of war of frigate class and less. The French number was a little less but also in the hundreds. So you can figure all those unblockaded French ports are regularly sending out commerce raiders of all sorts to ply the British shipping lanes, but like the transports, we're not bothering to count them, just assume they exist.

Just a side note I found interesting,
Mike