Michael Gorman on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:20:10 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] PPs for a victorious multinational force

At 03:07 PM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
> Wait a minute, the number of corps the winners have aren't supposed to
have
> any impact on the maximum victory points won in the battle.  In this
method
> if a small force defeats a huge one it's considered a minor victory.  That
> doesn't make any sense at all.

    This is simply a way of limiting the overall number of political points
created.  Suppose a combined force of 4 Russian corps, 2 Austrian corps, and
1 British corps defeats a force of 10 Turkish corps.  Under the system we
have already agreed to, Russia would gain 2 PPs (instead of 3), Austria
would gain 1 PP, and GB would gain 1 PP while Turkey would lose 3 PPs.  So
the total PPs awarded to the victors would be 4 PPs  (instead of 5) and the
total lost by the loser would be 3 PPs - pretty close to zero sum (which is
what we were shooting for).
    I hope this explanation helps you to understand where we were coming
from.  You say that it is a minor victory, but I would disagree.  I would
say it is a major victory spread among many nations.

    BTW, it occurs to me that the house rule I sent out earlier says nothing
about limiting PP gains and losses to a maximum of 3.  That should have been
included and was ommitted by mistake.

kdh

Change that to say 2 French corps of 19 factors or less and 1 Spanish corps tangling with 6 Turkish corps. The leading force has 2 corps and since that is fewer than the defeated force the victory points they can win are based on that. So France gets 1 point and Spain gets 1 point. Now, if the French had inflated their numbers and split one of their corps, they'd get a second point and if they broke themselves up into 5 corps they'd get 3 points. Alternatively, if the French dumped the Spanish, they only have 3 morale and all, they'd suddenly gain 3 points for the exact same battle rather than one. This solution seems pretty complicated and largely meant to keep nations from fighting together because everyone is now screwed over for being in a multinational force.

And how do you figure out points lost in a multinational defeat? If I can halve my points lost in a battle then Nate and I should swap a corps so that if Napoleon gets a good chit draw we can limit our losses due the presence of another nation's force we can scapegoat for the defeat.

I thought we had agreed to the simpler, the lead nation gets normal points for the battle and the allies each get 1 point for being there too. And for defeat you lose based on your corps present rather than upon the size of the entire army. I hadn't realized we were trying for zero sum, I thought we were just trying to reduce the poaching of sending one corps with one factor along to the biggest battles so you can soak up political points for sending an audience along to someone elses fight.

It's been a while so I don't doubt what you're saying was agreed to, but looking at it now I'm wondering if it was really a good idea.

Mike