Kyle H on Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:53:38 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] Victory at Leipzig?

    If this interpretation were correct, then we have been playing sieges
wrong since we started playing this game.  My instincts tell me that this is
not what the designers intended.  I will consult Empires in Harm and see
what they say.

kdh

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Helle" <jhelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "public list for an Empires in Arms game" <eia@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 8:30 PM
Subject: [eia] Victory at Leipzig?

I have been studying the Assault Combat Resolution rules since I conceded
defeat at Leipzig yesterday, especially 7.5.4.1.3.4 - 7.5.4.1.3.5, and am
convinced that France won the assault combat there.  Here is why:

7.5.4.1.3.4 states that if the beseiger (i.e. France) loses or does not
break the defender in three rounds the siege is resumed with no further
combat this round.  To lose means that one side breaks and the other does
not.  No other result, other than elimination, is ever considered a win.
Since the Saxons broke also, France did not lose.

7.5.4.1.3.5 states that if the defender breaks or is eliminated the beseiger
wins, the city is captured, and the surviving defenders surrender.

In summary, France met the requirement for winning the assault, despite
breaking, and should now control the city.