James Helle on Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:31:07 -0600 (CST)

[eia] Victory at Leipzig?

I have been studying the Assault Combat Resolution rules since I conceded defeat at Leipzig yesterday, especially 7.5.4.1.3.4 - 7.5.4.1.3.5, and am convinced that France won the assault combat there.  Here is why:

7.5.4.1.3.4 states that if the beseiger (i.e. France) loses or does not break the defender in three rounds the siege is resumed with no further combat this round.  To lose means that one side breaks and the other does not.  No other result, other than elimination, is ever considered a win.  Since the Saxons broke also, France did not lose.

7.5.4.1.3.5 states that if the defender breaks or is eliminated the beseiger wins, the city is captured, and the surviving defenders surrender.

In summary, France met the requirement for winning the assault, despite breaking, and should now control the city.