Kyle H on Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:21:33 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] Re: British forage rolls, 4/06

Quoting Mike:
> Actually, all factors in a corps at any part of the move are eligible for
> foraging death.  So the 4 factors would be detached and then would all die
> as you are only allowed to remove a corps counter if all factors in it any
> part of the phase are killed.

I agree with this part of Mike's statement.  Under no circumstances should
JJ be permitted to amend his orders in the way he suggested.  He cannot drop
off garrison factors and have them scooped up by another passing corps to
try to protect them from becoming foraging losses.  Those factors would be
dead as soon as the forage roll was made.

> The first clause here says that you roll forage as you finish movement so
> the conditional order JJ used was the correct method.

This is what I disagree with, and I don't see how it is supported by any of
the rules Mike quoted.  As I recall (I could be wrong), detaching garrison
factors is a part of movement (even if it is at the end of movement).
Therefore, the decision to detach or not detach a garrison should be made
prior to rolling forage.  And then the rules that Mike quoted become
applicable (i.e., losses can be taken from detached garrisons if the
foraging losses would otherwise eliminate the corps).

kdh