J.J. Young on Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:05:25 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] Spanish Economic Phase, March 06

> Victory Points: 4

I showed Spain in the highest "3" box at the beginning of the economic
phase.  That's where Spain started March, and I don't believe anything
happened during the month to gain or lose any PPs.

> Income/Manpower:
> 32/ 16 (printed value)
> + 1/1 (Sardinia)

Sardinia became neutral in February, when the peace treaty dropped Spain
into the Instability Zone for the February Minor Country Control phase
(4.6.1 & 10.5.2).

> + 6 (American trade)
> --------------
> 39/17

Spain also receives $8 from domestic trade with Great Britain, unless the
intention was to refuse this trade.

> maintenance $11 (5 corps, 1 fleet, 5 depot)
>
> Economic manipulation:
> received +1 for March, paying for +1 (5 manpower)

Just to make sure we're on the same page; you receive the benefit and pay
the cost for economic manipulation at the same time, three months after you
set it.  So Spain is gaining +1 PP and paying the -5 mp for it now in March,
based on the setting from December.  Since Spain is keeping the same
setting, it will gain +1 PP in June and pay the -5 mp for it then.

> political status adjustment is +3 (+1 manipulation, +2 drift)
>

> I can't find the rule for Economic Loss but it may apply (depends on if
> done before track adjustment, and anyhow, I don't know what it is

According to 10.5.2, the economic loss roll is made during the Money and
Manpower collection step, which is before adjustments for economic
manipulation and drift.

So Spain must make a roll and get over "1", or else is loses half of the
money and mapower it would normally collect (and I guess the -5 mp for
economic manipulation would come from the half you did collect).  Ouch.

Well, I'm sorry most of this input is bad news.  I hope it's helpful.

-JJY