Michael Gorman on Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:11:08 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] So to sum up...

At 02:55 PM 10/4/2004, you wrote:
Here is my present understanding of the possible peace process:

1.) In order to make peace this month, Spain would have to surrender to both GB and Turkey.

2.)  Both GB and Turkey have requested unconditional surrender.

Since Spain has sued for peace to both nations it is at war with, is it required by 4.4.2.1 to accept both offers or neither or can Spain choose to accept only one of the unconditional demands?

If they were conditional demands Spain would have no choice, but since both Britain and Turkey have chosen unconditional, they've given Spain another choice to remain at war or surrender. Does the requirement for suing for peace still apply or has it been met in Spain's initial request for terms to both powers it is at war with?

It's not clear to me which way I'm supposed to read 4.4.2 as far as how much distance there is between the initial suing for peace and the actual surrender.

Sorry to add another round of complexity to this, but it probably is important to figure out exactly how to end a war.

Mike