jjy on Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:43:56 -0500 (CDT)

Re: Fw: [eia] Turkish econ phase, Dec. '05

1.)  Here we have two competing principles.  On the one hand, a cossack must
have an attack declared upon it to be displaced, which Joel says shouldn't
happen outside of Turkey's land phase.  On the other hand, the rules says that
when a corps enters a new map area, it _must_ initiate an attack on any
unbesieged corps, friekorps, or cossacks in that area.

There are precedents for attacks to be made outside of the land or naval
phase, triggered by events in the political or economic phases.  Two examples
I can think of would be a) in the last game, where the mixed British/Spanish
garrison at Gibraltar fought each other in the political phase when the two
powers went to war, and b) if a minor country or province changed hands, and a
fleet in one of its ports was forced to leave and attack a blockade.

2.)  A similar argument could be made for a newly-placed feudal corps
destroying or converting an undefended depot, I think.  Also, it doesn't make
sense to me that the Turkish corps would have to leave the area and return
during the land phase to convert the depot.  But that seems to be the
implication if the depot is not destroyed/converted as soon as the corps
appears.  If the destruction/convertion doesn't happen immediately, when would
it happen ?  Would the Turkish corps have to spend the entire next land phase
in the depot's area, or leave it and return, in order to take the enemy depot
out ?  BTW, I believe the same would hold true for a newly-placed cossack
destroying an undefended Turkish depot.

And, unfortunately, it seems clear to me that since maintenance is paid before
anyone's Levy step, Russia would have paid the $1 for the depot before it was
converted.  So after some careful thought, I ended up agreeing with Kyle's
interpretation on all the issues raised (which actually wasn't how I started
when I first read Joel's email).  So that's my opinion.

-JJY