Michael Gorman on Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:25:37 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Russian Land Phase, December 1805

It's unclear to me whether the besieged Spaniards can join in the battle at
Jerusalem, since 1) I'm not sure whether this counts as a Limited Field
Combat (7.5.4.2.3) and 2)  it's not Spain's Land Phase right now.

I believe they can but are not required to. Since the Turkish force is a besieging force it looks like the Russian force has to attack as a relieving force which would mean the force in the city could opt to join in the battle. I think it's one of the few cases when you can get a multi-national attacking force without combined movement. It might also be the only way to get two nations at war to fight together. As far as I can see, if Russia was at war with Spain, Spain could still join in the battle against Turkey and the winner would besiege the Spaniards.

Mike