James Helle on Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:07:15 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] naval retreats and access

JJ, it seems obvious to me that in this case the only port available would
be Ally A.  In the wording of the rule you refer to it says "*the one
nearest* friendly, unblockaded port .  Unless two ports are *equally close*,
I don't see where there is an option.
JRH
----- Original Message -----
From: "J.J. Young" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "public list for an Empires in Arms game" <eia@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 1:59 PM
Subject: [eia] naval retreats and access

> While we're on the subject of naval access and ports, here's a question
I'd like us to resolve;

> Suppose a major power is allied to A and B, and has been granted access to
both allies' ports.  The major power loses a naval battle and has to
retreat.  Rule 6.3.5.1 says, "the naval combat loser retreats all fleets
that were in the combat to the one nearest unblockaded friendly (including
an ally's port, with access permission and if the loser wishes to use it)
port within 7 movement points (losing player's choice if more than one
possible port is equally close)."

> Let's say that ally B's nearest port is closer than the nearest port of
the retreating major power, and that ally A's nearest port is closer still.
Obviously, the loser has the choice of either his own nearest port, or the
nearest port of an ally which is closer or equally close.  But my question
is this; can the loser choose which ally's nearest port to retreat to, or
must he retreat to the nearest of _all_ allied ports ?

> In other words, are the retreating major power's choices;
> 1.)  The nearest of his own controlled ports
> 2.)  The nearest port of ally A
> 3.)  The nearest port of ally B
>
> Or are the choices restricted to;
> 1.)  The nearest of his own controlled ports
> 2.)  The nearest port of any ally (ally A in this example)
>
> So do you get to pick and choose which ally's nearest port to retreat to,
or are you restricted to the nearest of all allied ports ?  Personally, I
lean toward the more restricted interpretation, since you can always ignore
allied ports and retreat to your own closest controlled port.  But I don't
have any substantial rules reference to back this up, and I will go with the
majority view.