Nate Ellefson on Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:48:08 -0500 (CDT)

RE: [eia] Nelson/Napoleon

> I had always taken PP to be an aggregate of factors external
> and internal;
> I don't see them as solely outward-facing.

I don't think the foreign commander bonus makes sense internally,
either.  If anything, government and the press tend to create national
heroes and emphasize the ways in which they contributed to the overall
success, often downplaying the accomplishments of a foreign commander
who happens to be in supreme command.  I think jealousy tends to be the
more typical result.  In WWII the British went to great lenghts to
glorify the largely undeserving Montgomery to salve their national
pride.  In WWI the hero in the US was Pershing, but he was by no stretch
of the imagination one of the archetects of the Entante's victory.

I'm going well beyond the scope of what is probably appropriate for
discussion in the public board, so maybe Joel and I should continue this
thread in private. :)